ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IBM R51 - 4 beeps Blank screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> Hardware, BIOS repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenford
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: IBM R51 - 4 beeps Blank screen Reply with quote

Thanks in advance for all the help you provide.
Have been reading many threads where you helped but am not sure which one provides the solution to unlock my R51.

4 beeps Blank screen - manual says motherboard ( security chip).

The laptop powers up with the flashing symbols under the screen then beeps 4 times blank screen - only the mains power and battery symbols light. Crying or Very sad
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to our forums!

4 beeps. let's see:

1. Bad memory or some sub-board like WIFI/WAN/etc, is not mounted correctly. Check the memory type as well, the original must be at least DDR333, 333MHz, PC2700. (DDR1)
2. Bad contact at video chip (needs reballing) or bad video.
3. Bad power - some fried fuse, etc
4. Bad or missing TCPA chip. ATMEL AT97SC3201.

Or the board must be repaired/replaced.
greenford
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened before the system locked me out.

Laptop connected to mains but I forgot to flick the switch Crying or Very sad
Left emails downloading and planned to be back within the hour but ended up being 5.
Battery drained and locked the computer.
Plugging in the mains recharged the battery but system remains locked.
Quick search gave me the system board security chip problem.

Laptop has BIOS password and windows password - neither works to get the system working.

This laptop has a security chip and a password has been set but I have forgotten it.

Good news is data on harddrive is fine as it works on a friends IBM R51 with my login password and configs my setup.

Now all the treads I have seen needs the laptop to be booted and BIOS entered before connecting the hacking hardware.

However I have noted you comment about memory and will remore the added memory and see if that cures the problem Very Happy
greenford
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked memory.
problem still remains.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. Check the AT97SC3201 and see if there's any damage to the chip or PCB traces.

2. Video chip. This is a common issue for R51 and T4X series.
A quick test: Press the video chip towards the board and turn on the laptop while you keep it pressed - if you see the video starting up then it needs reballing. If not, you have to reball it anyway Smile. Video chip should be the one with ATI logo on it.

BTW, did you test with all sub-boards removed? Just to eliminate the outer possible causes...
greenford
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victor,
I am a novice but can handle a screwdriver.
This website is excellent and provides alot of info - I feel confident enough to take the laptop apart and check the items you have mentioned.

I have downloaded the pdf hardware service manual which lists the problem as I mention before - system board security chip but doesn't tell you how to fix this problem.

I think during researching this fault, I came across a solution where you have to read the info on a chip or rewrite the info but can't seem to find that solution again - any input is welcome Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> Hardware, BIOS repairs All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: