ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Practice] Making it work.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Pictures of driven interface breadboard Reply with quote

In response to a couple of questions posed by "noyp", I have put up another web site describing in detail how I laid out my driven interface breadboard. Hopefully it contains enough information on the "whys" and "hows" that one would encounter when trying to duplicate what I did.

http://www.rkawakami.net/ibm_600x/max232_if/

Ray
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: R40 pictorial Reply with quote

For Thinkpad R40 users here is a nice pictured tutorial received from one of our members who is a photographer. The pictures resolution was very high so I had to reduce them to a more downloadable format.
Winrar is needed to unrar the pictures.

http://www.allservice.ro/forum/dl/r40-tutorial.rar

Enjoy!
basscleff
Interesat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: thx! - question: a21m alternate solder points? Reply with quote

Great information here, once again!
I wonder if anyone can confirm alternate solder locations for a Thinkpad A21m motherboard? Might they be similar to the other ilustrations posted for alternate solder points, that are not on the eeprom itself? (alternate Gnd, SCA and SCL solder points or pads)
thank you!
rkawakami
Interesat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this thread with an unlock procedure I've performed on a T21 and T23. Both of these laptops have the EEPROM located inside the memory compartment (yay, no disassembly required!). For the T21 I went through the trouble of soldering on the wires to the SDA and SCL pins of the EEPROM. Figuring I had a steady enough hand, when it came to the T23 I simply held the two wires spaced apart exactly the same distance as the pins and "pushed" them onto the EEPROM. For both systems, I just clipped the ground wire onto the metal tab next to the screw hole for the memory cover. I did get an error message during the read of the T23's EEPROM, but the password that was read and decoded was correct. Not sure what the exact wording of the error was since I ran the IBMPASS2 program and then closed the DOS window just as I noticed the message. I'm still using the MAX232 interface circuit that I built on a breadboard several months ago. It has performed extremely well.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to update the bookmarks to Ray's tutorial here:
http://www.rkawakami.net/ibm_600x/max232_if/

A splendid article. Nice work once again, Ray.
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a small application that could help you with the interface diagnosis.
www.allservice.ro/store/utils/itester.zip

I made this because many users experienced problems in building their devices. It is always better to be sure that the programmer is performing before testing on the eeprom itself.

To find out how to use it see the help window.

Good luck!

Staff Note:
itester has been included in R24RF08 kit. Bob
me1
Interesat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, gr8 work to all, Im trying to build what I need to unlock my t43, boy am I learning fast lol, anyone have any photos that may help me also the tester program would be good to try first but link seems to be dead ?
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link lives again!
Anyway, the itester is included now with the R24RF08.
Don
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: solderless connection to T23 TP Reply with quote

I am in awe of some of the soldering skills pictured on this site.

My hands may look steady to the naked eye, however, under the magnification needed to see the Atmel clearly...my hands no longer looked steady enough to perform any soldering on the tiny legs of the 14-pin IC and my finest soldering iron tip looked like a baseball bat.

I needed to tap into that Atmel in three places (very temporarily).
I only have two hands and a third hand won’t fit inside the memory door of the T23 TP anyway.
The way to “work around” my personal shortcomings was to make a twin-tipped probe capable of tapping pins 8 and 10 using one hand.

The twin probe was constructed by soldering leads on two sewing needles then using stiff insulated wire to sandwich a strip of plastic (credit card thickness) between the needles. When satisfied with the spacing from tip to tip, I used plastic or household cement to glue everything in place. Not pictured is the heat shrink tubing or rubber vacuum hose used to insulate the lead ends of the needles from your fingers.

Hints: 1. Glue a couple of wraps to one needle first, let dry, then you can get tension on your wire for the final wrap.
2. Use very sharp needles (to buffer the oscillation generated by your personal stress)
3. Borrowing a section of windshield washer hose from wife’s car for insulators...not recommended.

“3-pair” telephone cable was used for all leads and a piece of drop was used to wrap needles.

A separate sewing needle was used for the pin 6 ground connection on the Atmel.

While I held the needles in place and sweated blood... my wife made the lead connections to the SIPROG (ground first) and ran Victor’s program. Success! Sweet!

Many thanks to Victor and all that contribute to and help maintain this very informative site. Any time spent here researching will be well spent and all they ask in return is your eeprom dump.

Don

Staff's note: Picture hosted on allservice.ro as per author's request.
lnd54321
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: My PCB Reply with quote

victor wrote:
Some of our forum members requested a PCB design of the driven circuit.

For those who want to make their own printed circuits see the picture below. Also download the pdf document from HERE that represents the circuit board (1:1) to print.

Hi Victor,

I just draw my circuit. Could you please check to see if it is right ?
http://download.yousendit.com/BFA040EE7F88A04B

Thank you
________

Last edited by lnd54321 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first sight it looks ok to me. Nice drawing
Raik
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://allservice.cabspace.com/dl/r40-tutorial.rar <<< link is dead.

my driven circuit deliveres
SDA +4,99 V / +0.68 V
SCL +5,00 V / +0.68 V
but switches booth SDA & SCL as expected. Shocked
(image follows)

is this a problem?
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link updated.

For driven circuit is normal to have all positive values. But I think you didn't power the circuit with the 3xAA batteries?! Use the batteries, it is much safer, the Vcc have to be up to 5V, but not over.
Raik
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is usb-powered. a little resistor may help? or something, to limit the maximum voltage?
better lower booth values, the 0,68V too, or just restrict the Vmax ?
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Raik,

A resistor will limit the curent and the MAX232 won't work. Use the batteries they provide a true CC that doesn't need to be filtered. USB5V+ usually works but I personally know that this may cause a lot of trouble sometimes so Bob gave you a good advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: