ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinkpad X220i failed eeprom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> Hardware, BIOS repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulix
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Thinkpad X220i failed eeprom? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have here a X220i Thinkpad and after setting it up, it worked perfect it's dead now. (It was in the package form 2011 till now)
The only thing it does, when the start button is pressed, all the leds (bluetooth, battery and so on) power on, after that they shut all down.
The thinkpad is not able to do more...

I tried to fix it with the following things:
- replacing the RAM and testing another slot
- replacing the BIOS Battery
- disconnectiong the hdd

nothing worked....

This thinkpad is form 11-11-2011, which is said that the eeprom was faulty and the latops stopped working after a short while.

! I want to add, there are no beep sounds at all, only the fan powering up and then shuting down as well....

Disconnected: -HDD -WLAN modul -Bluetooth -LCD -Battery
No change: need no LCD at all....
There are two eeproms on the mainboard, which I could find!
Now I looked at the mainboard and cleaned it with alcohol:
There is a MXIC MX 25L6406E M21-I2G

Then there is another chip: L08-1 TO

What do they store? Which one should I read out?
Thank you
victor
S.F. Boss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Windows had the Automatic Updates active then when you turned it on it updated the BIOS without notice. So I think it was a BIOS update that went wrong.

The thing is that updating under Windows will usually fail. Updates must be done from DOS or at least from a non-mutitasking / minimal Win session.
Also an update must be done gradually, not jumping to the last version available.

MXIC MX 25L6406E M21-I2G is the BIOS, so you have to read it and email the dump to us for repairs.
ulix
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
after the bios update, the laptop worked as normal! It was not done via the windows update function!
Is there more info on the eeprom which failed in the X220i laptops?

See:
"Lenovo has identified an issue which affects a portion of Think and Idea systems that were manufactured between September and December 2011. The issue manifests as early life failures of the EEPROM chip and results in the system failing to power on or boot up. Not all of the systems manufactured during this period of time are affected. This is an industry component issue and is not limited to Lenovo."

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X220-no-post-and-green-light-around-power-button-flashes-every-3/td-p/659779/page/6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> Hardware, BIOS repairs All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: