ALLservice Service Forum
support board, PC repair, unlocking solutions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Query regarding SPEG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MUnzab
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Query regarding SPEG Reply with quote

Hi all. Slight noob here. I am going to get started with using allaervice to remove a few bios passwords - lock on boot, bios readable only on a couple of post xx40 laptops.

My query is, i am actually pretty bad at soldering, so before buying the kit, does it come with a clip that you just put on or wires that need soldering to the chip?
Are instructions detailed?

What kind of laptop/os do i need to dump and write, ie do i need one with a pcmcia slot and a serial/lpt card? If yes, any recommendations for a model?

Thanks, can buy and get started soon then
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only clip maker we 100% recommend is Pomona but we could not include the clip without buying larger quantities 1000+ pcs and pay the dam EU duty which made it uneconomical for us. Plus, each user may want to use different clips or minigrabers, etc. So we decided to not include clips.

Anyhow, a Pomona 5250 8Pin is just 10..15 Euro, just order one from Farnell or ebay, etc.

1. The clip Pomona 5250 is recommended to be used with all BIOS chips that allow a clip like this.

2. The SPEG software requires a 32bit Windows.
64 Bit Windows will not allow access to IO ports anymore , (Win XP64 bit perhaps still does). Plus a 64 bit driver must be WHQL signed (aka sending it to Microsoft and pay big) otherwise will not be loaded without making a few hack, which is not what we wanted.

3. SPEG needs a LPT port, so a laptop or PC with LPT. An old T30, T40...T43 Thinkpad is the perfect laptop for micro-device programming.

4. SPEG is not unlocking laptops by itself, it is only the BIOS programmer. It comes with a manual but will not contain a How-to-solder-wires instructions. Also will not teach you electronics.
Actually, using SPEG is more common sense for a technician.

Of course, Victor and myself we will do the best we can to help you.

Cheers
MUnzab
Nou Venit

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

Can you guide me into getting a clip and where to solder the speg wires onto it? I can do that kind of solder but id be very nervous of soldering onto a motherboard. Therefore the right part of the clip will touch the appropriate connection on the chip.

Re old laptop and software thats not a problem. Plenty available and i want to get a proper clip done first.
bob
S.F. Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLIP https://uk.farnell.com/pomona/5250/test-clip-8-pos-1-27mm-soj-soic/dp/2406243

Just imagine the clip over the BIOS chip. The chip has 8 legs but only 6 wires are required. Here is the SPEG connection diagram

www.allservice.ro/forum/dl/wire-diagram.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Service Forum Forum Index -> IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Password Help Center (EN) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: